Monday, March 3, 2008

Adding One More Thing to Juggle

Today marks my third week at a new job. I needed to add the the household income. We're hitting some hard times right now so I felt the need to chip in a little more than usual. My job is all kinds of fun and fits into my crazy schedule. Sure, I have to sacrifice a few weekends here and there but, hey, that's life, right? I'm not a wiley 15 year old anymore.

Another plus is that this new job fits into my schedule for next quarter. How awesome is that?

Of course, with every good thing comes a bad thing. I'm coming up on my 7th quarter and I'm starting to worry about internship time. I don't know how I'm going to juggle classes, a job and an internship. I don't have a car, so night-time and weekend classes are out of the question unless Berkeley coincidentally start a shuttle service for those days. If I don't find a way to get to school and back on those times, I won't know what to do. Taxis like to overcharge students like crazy. I don't think I can do $24 roundtrip every night and weekend.

I'm planning on bringing up the shuttle bus idea to the Garrett Mountain SGA and see what can be done about it.

Man, do you know how many students would benefit from something like that? Dorming students can leave the campus to go shopping (for personal items and other things) and be able to come back the same day rather than waiting for the commuter times. I know a whole bunch of students who ride the commuter bus with me that have the same worries about intership time.

I'm crossing my fingers some could be worked out. Otherwise, I might have to transfer to New York or even out of school! All because I can't make it to campus.

1 comment:

~Aleksandra~ said...

Hey there! I wanted to let you know that you have a great idea for the weekend and night shuttles, but just to give you a heads up changes are VERY hard to accomplish. It took us over 5 weeks just to get a bulletin board we are still fighting for! Be persistent, stand up for what you believe, and don’t step down. It really helps. Be confident and strong about what you want.